Thursday, October 16, 2014

We Change Lives.


 


A few weeks ago, I did something that I never ever thought I would (or could) do; I ran a 5K in under 30 minutes.

Somehow, in my mind, this sticks out as a pretty big accomplishment.  It isn't because I think running a 5k in and of itself is so amazing; heck, there were kids who ran the 5k, and a huge number of people killed it running the 15k.  Instead, it is more about what that run represented: hard work and challenging myself in ways I really didn't know I could. 


I joined Absolute Performance Training (APT) in June, and I can honestly say that it has been one of the best decisions and one of the best investments I have ever made.  I thought about joining for months before I took the plunge.  I attended the gym regularly in an effort to get fit and lose weight for an upcoming vacation, and I would watch the girls in APT and think to myself how I would probably faint if I tried one of the classes. I remember finally getting the courage up to go to the first class, and as expected, it was hard! I thought I would throw up before it was done, but I made it, and at the end of class, the main feeling I had was that of success.  I bought the first month's package, and I haven't looked back since.  

One of my biggest fears about APT before I joined was that I would work out with a bunch of super fit and super competitive and super judgmental women.  I was so wrong.  The core group of women (and a few men) who frequent APT are truly wonderful. The benefits I have received from this program extended beyond losing weight or toning up.  What I have developed is camaraderie and friendship with an excellent group of people.  The fitness is simply a bonus.

This week at the gym, we were asked to sign a board with a few words that would sum up how APT has changed our lives.  I have yet to sign that board because finding just a few words to explain it correctly is challenging, but here it goes:

Confidence:  Prior to June, I never thought I could hang with the likes of Brandi Martin, Lauren Holt, Abbie Ashley, Tiffany Jacobs or half of the other regular APTers. And, in a lot of ways, I cannot.  But the thing is, the program doesn't stress beating those around you or having to keep up with the beast of the group; instead, it stresses simply setting personal goals and then continuing to grow and push those limits. It does this through encouraging words, support and friendship.  I have come to realize I can finish really hard workouts; I can run the pavement thin around the gym, and I can accomplish toes to bar.  Heck, I can even climb the rope: a task I thought I would never accomplish when I first joined.  I have reached these goals through the the continuous encouragement of those around me telling me to keep trying and to not give up and that I am doing great.  The result of this encouragement and hard work are a bonus; I feel better physically about myself than I really ever have before and that is wonderful.         


Happiness:  There is a sign in the gym that reads "Let us be the best part of your day."  Honestly, for me, this sign reads true.  Now, I don't mean that being at the gym is better than being with my husband and my children.  But what it means is that going to the gym makes me happy. It just does.  Since I joined APT, I have noticed that I never dread going to the gym. Never.  I may not feel like working out some days, but I always look forward to walking into the gym and getting to see everyone.  It is almost more of a social enjoyment than a physical one.  What I also notice is that because I enjoy the people and the atmosphere, I am pushed to work harder than I ever could alone or than I could in a surrounding that I was uncomfortable with.  




 Me Time and Friendship:  The best aspect of APT has certainly been the friendships formed. Everyday I get to spend a few hours with friends who share a similar interest.  For a mom of two young children who works a full time job, this is important.  This makes me feel sane.  I really don't have time to be social in the same ways I did before children.  The time I get to devote to myself and to spend with those friends I have made at AF helps me to recharge my batteries when I feel tired or like I am sinking in the responsibilities of everyday life.  My family has even commented on the fact that I am in a lighter mood now that I am regularly going to the gym. I seriously think it is because I have finally found and excellent way to relieve stress and to pay attention to my needs.  That is so important when the other 22 hours in the day are spent focusing on others' needs.    
So, at the end of the day, I am really very glad and grateful to Brandi Martin for creating such an awesome program that truly is changing lives probably in more ways than she will ever really realize!




No comments:

Post a Comment